Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Whitney - It Sucks


Ever felt curious enough to watch a show just to confirm how bad it really is? I found myself having a couple of hours to kill tonight and decided to go ahead and give Whitney a shot. I've read numerous reviews about how horrible it is, but past instances have taught me that I tend to be entertained by the weirdest of shows.

So here's my verdict - It SUCKS BAL--well, it's not good.

I'll be honest. I've never seen Whitney Cummings do stand up. So my opinion is purely based on the show. And when I say it's not good, I don't mean it's bad. Charlie's Angels was bad. The mediocrity associated with this piece of crap, sorry-excuse-for-a-sitcom stands in a class of it's own. The characters are unlikable and forgettable, the laughter in the background is forced and mechanical, and the show is just BORING.

My viewing experience did not elicit a single laugh, snicker, chuckle or guffaw. Not a one. I looked like Ron Swanson throughout the entirety of the three episodes I saw. If Ms. Cummings expects the viewers to crack up after hearing terms like 'Spongeboob squarepants' and 'When in need, show your cleave', she appears to be under the misguided impression that NBC caters to an audience of morons. It's difficult to understand how the same individual can also give us 2 Broke Girls (which I find hilarious).

In order for a sitcom to work, the characters need to be funny. They weren't. The delivery was just awful. Whitney's performance on it's own merit, was cringeworthy. And I'm saying that because I'm in a good mood.
I'm pretty sure her co-star (the hairy dude with no talent) had to brace for impact every time she opened her mouth. I don't doubt her abilities as a comedian, but as an actress...uh, NO.
Hairy dude, her boyfriend (played by comedian Chris D'Elia. Don't remember where you've seen him before? Glory Daze. Nothing?) is equally bad if not worse. His character has zero personality, and he's basically a walking hairball. So this show has 2 comedians with no sense of comedic timing. Not exactly a recipe for success.
Then there are 2 more dudes and 2 more gals to round off the cast. And they all suck.

The show is supposedly 'shot in front of a live studio audience'. I'm pretty sure the audience (all 3 of them) were forced to laugh at gunpoint.

"Be a lively studio audience or you will be shot!!"
Okay. That was lame.

All joking aside, it ticks me off to see garbage like this getting picked up for a full season while shows like Prime Suspect get laid off. Yes, the show wasn't groundbreaking. But it was light years better than this! NBC has a pattern of making bad choices, and this has to be one of the worst.

In the age of comedic gems like Modern Family, Community, The Office (the Michael Scott years) and Parks & Recreation, this show has no business being in the vicinity of the same time-slot, or even the same dimension as these shows.

I hope the show gets better with time and the people involved don't squander this God-given opportunity. If it does get better, let me know. I'm still not gonna watch it.
To quote Raylan Givens - "I'd rather stick my dick in a blender".