Wednesday, November 30, 2011

2 Broke Girls - Quirkilicious!

Just to prove to everyone that I can be fair and diplomatic when I need to be, let me draw your attention to what I believe is the only right thing Whitney Cummings has done that his fit for human consumption. 2 Broke Girls has actually emerged as my favorite new comedy of the season. There have been mixed reviews about this show, but I can wholeheartedly accept that I look forward to watching it every week.

I was reasonably skeptical about this show when I first heard about it. The obviously cliche elements associated with it didn't help to sell the idea at first. But after watching the first episode, I was genuinely surprised at how funny it was! Although it still has a long way to go, each episode has been consistent with respect to comedic delivery and timing. Kat Dennings is the perfect choice to play Max. She's definitely a breath of fresh air and lights up the screen with her presence. And although her compulsive gum chewing might be annoying at times, it interferes in no way with her flawless performance. Her presence in itself is probably enough to draw a huge male demographic (self included!). Great casting decision, guys!
Beth Behrs is a surprise hit as far as I'm concerned. It was imperative that whoever got the role of Caroline should be sympathetic, yet snooty, but not overly so. Her subtle mannerisms are a treat to watch and she gives off a friendly vibe that fits in perfectly with her character. She's cute and funny, and an equally strong reason to watch this show.

There is a grey area as far as the supporting cast is concerned. Well not so much the cast, as the writing associated with the characters. The guy who plays Oleg (Jonathan Kite) is FREAKIN' HILARIOUS! You can either love or hate him. I actually crack up every time he appears on screen. His one-liners like "And you may call me Sir Oleg with the amazing party in my pants" are a pleasure to watch. But yeah, it's not for everyone. Garrett Morris (from the SNL of old) as Earl does a decent enough job, although he appears a little detached and his lines feel rehearsed.

My only concern with this show is the character of Han (Matthew Moy). There are a lot of shows and movies out there that have stereotypes associated with Asians. I've read in some forums that people are on the fence with this one. I personally don't think this is an accurate portrayal, and although Han Lee will probably stick around for comedic value, I can understand if people are offended. That being said, I have nothing against Matthew Moy. He's done the best he could with what's been given to him. Blame the writers!

The story is very different from what we would normally expect. 2 girls working in a diner, looking for a break by starting a cupcake business may not be an award winning idea. But adding other factors like the lovable nature of the protagonists, the weekly insults hurled at richly deserving patrons at the diner, Oleg and a champion pet horse named Chestnut, we have a winner. At least for now.

Tidbits

- Max's love interest Johnny. Probably the worst character on the show. He's not funny, not even remotely. The guy's a douche.
- "Listen, Battlefield Earth!" (Episode 7). Loved it!
- There are way too many vagina references in this show. Tone it down a notch, will ya?
- I hear Oleg is selling his air conditioner on Ebay. Any takers?

American Horror Story is on tonight, folks! Depending on how it turns out I may or may not return my gimp suit tomorrow.