Monday, December 12, 2011

Dexter - Bowels Of Wrath


I was pretty excited after watching the promo for Dexter last week. It had loads of snippets which looked promising and gave me new hope that possibly, maybe, hopefully the writers will see the light and end season 6 with a colossal bang. After some mediocre episodes in the last few weeks, 'Talk To The Hand' sort of fueled my faith in this series.

Make no mistake, I HATE the way the writers have handled Dexter this season, but if I'm going to watch season 7 (and I will), a finale of ginormous proportions needs to happen next week. I'm pretty used to being underwhelmed by this show by now, so imagine my surprise when I found myself at the edge of my seat when Beth (lady whose husband Dex stabbed last week), walked into Miami Metro with a bag of Wormwood. It's been a while since Dexter got something right, so stopping Beth from making the air inside Miami Metro as poisonous as the air inside the Enron complex was a step in the right direction. That being said, the rest of the episode was kind of a bummer.

Let's be realistic. Every time we see Dexter in danger, we know nothing's actually going to happen. Apparently the writers have come to realize this and didn't even bother to leave the viewers hanging when Dexter escaped Travis's ring of fire.

Batista's capture had an ominous vibe to it in the last episode, so imagine my chagrin when Quinn (yuck), of all people actually did something right for a change and saved Batista from becoming a Cuban-American barbecue. Now Batista has to live with the shame of owing his life to Quinn (ugh). The shame!

Another significant and weird development was the conversation between Debra and shrink lady. The suggestion that Debra might have romantic feelings for Dexter, caught her completely off guard as it did everyone else. Now with the idea planted in Deb's head, it was only a matter of time before she would actually have a dream about getting it on with her step-brother. Nice going, shrink lady! Weren't you supposed to solve Debra's problems??

Meanwhile, LaGuerta revealed a whole new level of bitchiness by getting Matthews fired for the hooker fiasco. Miami Metro consists of an array of morons of different shapes and sizes, but now with LaGuerta at the helm, there is no limit to the level of incompetence the division can achieve. Dexter's dark passenger is going to have his hands full next season.

The MOST interesting part of this episode, in my irrelevant (but not if you're reading this. Ha!) opinion, was nerd dude Louis' package for Dexter. What the hell was he drawing on the Ice Truck Killer hand?? I am officially intrigued.

All in all, tonight's show wasn't all that bad considering the crap we've had to put up with the last couple of weeks. Although Dexter didn't kill anyone, I am eager to see him make up for it by planning a very special sendoff for Travis next week.

Tidbits

- I seriously expected a main character to get killed tonight. It's still possible (well, not tonight). Please, let it be LaGuerta! Quinn gets a pass for saving Batista's ass (hey, that rhymed).
- The expected symptoms for minimal exposure to the Wormwood gas were nosebleeds and dizziness. It doesn't take a genius to guess Dex is gonna get dizzy at the exact wrong moment. That's what makes (or used to make) good TV.
- Nerd dude Louis. What do you think? Prospective bad guy?
- I sense an epic and religiously symbolic death for Travis. The viewers deserve that much, right?

The season finale's next week. I'm already starting to miss this show. Actually I've been missing it for some time. Sad face.