Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Primetime Television - Don't Rock The Boat


Over the last couple of years or so, television has undergone a major overhaul. What used to be quality TV just doesn't make the cut anymore. Or so I've been told. With the array of 'new age' shows like Glee, American Horror Story and Fringe (with their 'out of the box' storylines) doing the rounds, I still believe there is room for the serialized, conventional, standalone episode-of-the-week type of series.

I usually find myself flipping channels a couple of nights a week, hoping to discover something new. But the search eventually ends up being fruitless. So what do I end up watching? What do I fall back on? Do I switch off the TV and do something productive for a change? Yeah right.

I'm pretty sure I'm not the only couch potato out there who still has tremendous respect for shows like NCIS, Criminal Minds and Law & Order SVU. These are still the true giants of primetime television in my opinion, and regardless of how good the last episode of Revenge was, or how sucky last night's Glee was, the trend shouldn't exhibit a significant change. At least I hope not.

Personally, I could watch NCIS and Flashpoint reruns all day and not get bored. Could you say the same for American Horror Story? Yeah, it's interesting when you see it once, but watching it again actually FEELS like a waste of time (you're still wasting time watching TV, you losers). Another aspect of these shows is consistency. You KNOW that regardless of what the story is, an episode of Criminal Minds will always be entertaining. The reliability associated with serialized shows is severely lacking in these newer shows. I've never seen Glee (I have a brain I still intend to use). But from what people (who prefer to be anonymous for fear of being ostracized by humanity) have told me, not every episode delivers on quality. Similarly, I watch American Horror Story every week, and honestly, there are occasions during which I wish I didn't.

That being said, some bad shows undoubtedly still do get through the cracks and inexplicably get renewed every year (cough..NCIS: Los Angeles), while more deserving shows like The Chicago Code get stomped on for not having sufficient backing from network heavyweights, despite how good those shows may be. How else can you explain trash like Whitney (blech) getting renewed for an ENTIRE season? Trust me, the show is no better than How To Be A Gentleman. So what happens behind the scenes? We may never know. At least I won't.

The point I'm trying to drive across is this - Sometimes an intriguing show like Ringer might come along and wow you with it's fresh (yet loopy) story, coupled with bad CGI that makes you cringe, but keeps you interested just the same. But how long will it last? Never underestimate a good episode of Castle. It might not be spectacular, but it works. And you get to see Nathan Fillion every week!

Let me sign off by giving you a rundown of the current shows I like, the shows I'm on the fence with, and the shows I hate with a VENGEANCE -

Likes (in no specific order) - Supernatural, Justified, Game Of Thrones, Person Of Interest, The Mentalist, Castle, Dexter, Breaking Bad, The Big Bang Theory, Community, Boss, Hell On Wheels, NCIS, Flashpoint, Criminal Minds, Suburgatory, Modern Family, Psych (hee hee), Leverage (Parker, woof!)

On The Fence - The Closer, Revenge, Fringe, The Walking Dead, The Good Wife, Two and a Half Men, Once Upon A Time, Grimm, American Horror Story, The Office (without Michael Scott), Harry's Law, all the CSIs.

Shows That Royally Suck - Whitney (yech), New Girl (I hate it. Period), How I Met Your Mother, Glee (yes I haven't seen it, my hate for the show is unreasonably immense), NCIS: Los Angeles, Burn Notice (all fluff and no substance), Royal Pains (ditto), Bones (I don't get the hype), Unforgettable.

AHS is on tonight. I am reluctant yet curious to watch what's next on the show.